Sunday, April 1, 2012

Circle B Bar Reserve, Part II

This is one of my favorite places to go photograph wildlife.  You never know what you're going to see when you get there.  Today, I was on a mission though.  I have been heading out to Circle B for quite a while now in search of the elusive Barred Owl (it's always been elusive for me although others have photographed them there.).   The fledgling has left its nest to start its life away from Mom and Dad.  I didn't get a chance to photograph the little fellow before he left.  I did however get to photograph Mom or Dad earlier today and what a thrill that was. 



I love owls so any chance to I get to photograph one, I'm in hog heaven.  As I waited for Mom or Dad to show up at the nest, several other Photographers wandered by, all of them confirmed that they baby had left this past Friday.  I have to say that this news sucked, I had found their nesting spot and yet agan, they have eluded me.  Most of the other Photographers were heading up the trail towards Marsh Rabbit Run, since I had just come from there I decided to head the opposite direction, maybe I would get lucky.  

As I arrived at the clearing where the bench overlooking Lake Hancock is I heard a faint hoot, then another and then an even more faint answer.  Ok, I have a shot at this, I just need to be quiet as I walk so I can listen for more hoots.   As I approached the boardwalk area, I heard a really loud hoot and I knew I was in the right place.  As I crossed the boardwalk I heard a commotion coming across the trail toward Shady Oaks, then I heard the flap of wings and as I looked up , I saw the talons of a Barred Owl bearing down on me.  Whatever had flushed the owl out of its perch had done so in my direction.  My day had come, I was going to finally get the shots I wanted of this elusive bird.  I think I spent the next 45 minutes working my way around the trees on the lake trying to find a good angle.

The fist shot below was taken with a Nikon D300 using a Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR1 lens, the second shot was taken with the same setup using a 2x Kenko teleconverter.   As you can see the lighting conditions were very harsh, there was some direct sunlight behind the own as well as greenish light reflecting off all the leaves, it really made this a lot more of a challenge than I had orginally thought it would be.










All in all, I am pretty happy with my first Barred Owl photos and can't wait to go back when I get my Nikon D800 and take another crack and finding them. 

As always, thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog , if you like what you see in my blog please don't hesitate to leave a comment or head over to my site at www.rorymadstudios.com

Warm regards,
Michael

My Hometown

My Hometown
Great start to the morning

Followers

About Me

My photo

My name is Michael White and I'm a Fine Art Photographer based out of the Tampa Bay area.   I enjoy photographing various landscapes and wild life that can be found in the US.  I am also the creator of a new process called High Key HDR. 
 
You can find my website at www.carsinhdr.com and I can also be followed on Twitter at @rorymadstudios .